Surgical Post-Op Instructions
Thank you for selecting us for your root canal therapy. Please follow the guidelines below and contact us with any questions.
INSTRUCTIONS FOLLOWING SURGICAL PROCEDURES:
- Do not disturb the operative site with your tongue. Avoid excessive talking, laughing or use of facial muscles for 24 hours.
- Swelling is to be expected. The surgical site and face may swell, regardless of the home care. It usually reaches a maximum in 48 hours and generally disappears over the course of a week.
- The use of an ice pack is recommended to minimize swelling. It should be pressed lightly over the face for the first 30 minutes to promote initial clot formation. At home, the intermittent application of ice packs should be continued for the first two days following surgery.
- Smoking is not advised for 48 hours after surgery.
- Iced drinks are allowed immediately after surgery. A soft, lukewarm diet is permissible on the day of the surgery.
- A gradual shift to a normal diet is recommended after 48 hours.
- Do not rinse on the day of surgery. It may trigger bleeding.
- After 24 hours, the teeth in the surgical zone may be cleaned with a Q-Tip dipped in mouthwash. All the other teeth may be cleaned normally.
- After 24 hours, gentle rinses with warm salt water over the course of one week is encouraged to keep the surgical site clean.
- Please do not hesitate to call this office for any questions or concerns that may arise during the post-operative period.